Success is getting what you want; happiness is liking what you get

Tuesday 15 October 2013

Low Tech Car Navigation

I had to find an address in the heart of the rural countryside and was rather worried about getting lost.  Navigation is not my strong point, and that’s putting it mildly.  In fact, I’m hopeless, and have been known to get lost driving to places I’ve already been to.  How sad is that!  No, I couldn’t possibly use the Garmin Sat Nav, I told Robin, that’s much too hard for me.

So what did he do, to safely send me on my way?  Logged on to Google Maps, and printed out the directions for me.  Turn left, turn right, etc, etc, the destination is on the right – that little snippet was certainly handy to know.  Then he logged on to Google Earth and found the driveway leading up to the house.  I had been told that there was a blue letter box without a street number on the driveway.  So it was good to have an idea of what the property looked like.  Thank goodness I arrived safely and didn’t have to resort to a cell phone plea to my hostess to come and rescue me.

Perhaps I should come into the 20th Century and use the Garmin next time I go to an unknown place.  Or should I just continue to be an ostrich with my head in the sand?  (I await the outcome of this scenario with baited breath! Robin.)

No comments: