Success is getting what you want; happiness is liking what you get

Thursday 14 February 2013

Where the Heck are my Glasses?

I’ve had good and faithful service from my reading glasses.  They were purchased back in 2008 during our 3 month UK trip.  From a Boot’s Chemist shop in Birmingham, to be precise.  I remember that we were catching up with friends Margaret and Trevor from Erdington when my expensive prescription reading glasses broke.  They suggested we go to Boot’s Chemist for a cheap replacement pair to see us through the holiday.  Good idea, we thought, so off we went, and found a pair to suit.  But they were priced at 20 pounds!  “That’s $60 NZ!” I exclaimed, “we can buy them for $10 back home”.  (At that time our exchange rate was 3 NZ$ to 1 pound).  But needs must and I duly handed over the money.

I’ve been using these reading glasses all this time but must have dropped them today while we were doing a little shopping in Otaki.  They are generally hung around my neck with one of those “old lady” type cords but the end must have slipped off one of the arms.  So we back tracked along the footpath, and into the couple of shops we had visited, and had a good look around the car parking area.  Sadly, not a sign of them anywhere.

Back at the caravan I found another cheapie pair tucked away and used them while I wandered around outside snapping a few photos.  Putting my camera on the table I realized that these glasses weren’t on my face, or carefully clutched in my hand.  Surely, not again, twice in one day!  Round and round the garden the both of us went, carefully looking where we placed our feet as we looked under trees, along the fence line and over the lawn.  Just as I was about to give up, there they were, almost swallowed up in the lawn, with just a glint in the sunshine giving them away. 

Thank goodness – I couldn’t have coped with losing two pairs of glasses on the same day.  (Just imagine the nagging I would have received).  This pair is now hanging around my neck with my spare cord firmly attached. 

DSCF4513 Sad but true, people over a certain age need reading glasses

1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh my! How I hate to lose things. I'm glad you found at least one pair. :-)